Tuesday 25 September 2012

Quinta de la Rosa LBV 1999 (Bottled 2004)

Quinta de la Rosa LBV 1999 (Bottled 2004)

This was interesting to try as it is not often I have come across an unfiltered LBV that has had so long under cork after the bottling. It had a ruby colour with some fruit on the nose. It was rich, smooth and fruity and therefore quite approachable. I think my judgement was clouded by the rather good colheita I tasted just before this one. However I did get the impression that the prolonged bottle ageing had removed any remaining harsh elements from the taste therefore leaving a drink that was without faults if not having the depth of a good vintage. This suggests that a really full unfiltered LBV could become close to vintage in character with a modicum of cellaring.

No comments: