Sunday 3 September 2017

Niepoort Secundum Vintage 1999

Niepoort Secundum Vintage 1999


Strikingly clear bright ruby colour with a rich and plummy nose. Tasting revealed a delicious combination of jammy fruits. Whilst not the most full bodied of ports the harmony of the sweet fruit flavours and absence of any detracting harshness made this a pleasure to drink. There was the ideal amount of tannic residue to balance the prominent flavour which was akin to that of a jam made out of autumnal fruits. It will be interesting to see how this wine develops.

I have to take my hat off to Niepoort in their choice of bottle and cork. This was one of the easiest vintages I have ever had to decant. I managed to pour practically the whole bottle into a receiving vessel whilst leaving the crud behind. As a result my antique port filter had very little work to do. You can see that the bottle was a little bit dumpy which in my view is an ideal shape for vintage port. As a result of the use of a long cork there were no apparent and unwanted contribution from oxidation.

No comments: